How to get rid of other on iphone using general tricksOther data can be a mixture of a lot of things. This means operating system settings and data, Safari cache, Siri cache, downloaded maps, reminders, notes, stocks, weather data, email, texts, iMessages, and data for all of the apps on your phone. Following are few solutions that can help get rid of other without restoring.
- Sync – This may work for some phones. In iTunes, uncheck the 'sync' option in Photos, Books, TV Shows, Movies, Music and Ringtones. Sync the phone. Go back in and re-check the 'sync' option in Photos, Books, TV Shows, Movies, Music and Ringtones. Re-sync the phone.
- iTunes downloads - Make sure no files are paused or stuck. Until the file is downloaded, it is included in other data.
- iTunes match – Turning it on stores some music data in hiding for future use as cache. If you have it turned on, turn it off and delete all songs off the phone manually. Preferably not with the swipe left thing but by going artist by artist. Then you can turn it back on.
- Email - Email attachments are saved under other data. First delete the email account and re-setup it. Then make sure it isn't set to download all your email from all time. This would free-up some space.
- SMS/MMS/iMessage – SMS with photo and video attachments can take up a lot of space on other. Deleting these would help get rid of other on iphone. Sometimes your iphone doesn’t instantly show the freed space. To solve this issue, delete messages and then power the phone off for 30+ seconds.
Tutorial to get rid of other on iphone using PhoneCleanA great way to get rid of other without restoring is by using PhoneClean. Most people find themselves skeptical when downloading freeware apps for ‘cleaning’. Rightfully so, as such softwares usually cause more problems than they solve. This isn’t the case with PhoneClean. The app is created by a company called iMobie who are known for many apps for transferring data to and from iphone. The good thing about PhoneClean is that it’s free of charge, unlike most of the apps from iMobie. Learning how to get rid of other on iphone using PhoneClean is simple.
- First download and install the software on your PC. This can be found at http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/
- Make sure your device is plugged in your computer.
- Begin scan
- The app will then analyze your device for ‘Temp and Junk Files’, ‘Cache and Off-line Files’, ‘Cookie and Script Files’ and ‘Sync-failed Media Files’.
- After completing scan, the app will show the data that you don’t need. Clean up to free up space in other.
Clean up "Other" Storage with restoringSometimes the reason of other data being huge is data corruption. It can be deadly as other would keep on increasing. To get rid of other on iphone when nothing else is working, restoration is the best way-out. This reduces the other data to the minimum size possible. Important: Restoration will delete all your app data. So it’s recommended that you back-up your contacts, iMessages etc using any software you want. Also you must do a clean restore and not restore to back-up. To get rid of other using restoration, follow the steps below.
- Connect your iphone to computer and open iTunes.
- Allow iphone to sync completely.
- Open the "Summary" tab under your device menu.
- Under ‘Backups’ find ‘Manually Back Up and Restore’ and click ‘Back up Now’.
- Let your iphone back-up the data. This may take several minutes.
- Click ‘Restore iPhone’ once the back-up is complete.
- When the pop-up appears, click "Restore." This may take several minutes.
- When the iPhone is reset, follow the directions given on the iphone.
Source: Tutorial: How to get rid of Other on iPhone